Looking for some travel inspiration? You’ve come to the right place! In this article, you will discover the ultimate travel bucket list experiences in the world!
This includes an incredible selection of travel destinations and experiences you can have around the world.
We’ve included a mix of cultural, outdoor, foodie and thrill-seeking activities.
So, are you ready to dive into this awesome travel bucket list? Let’s get started!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost for you! As an Airbnb Associate, I may earn when you book through these links.
Top 10 Once in a lifetime travel experiences
Every traveller has a list of must-see places. You know, these ultimate places you want to see at least once in your life. This is it! It was hard to choose only 10 of them but here is the ultimate top 10 once in a lifetime travel experiences!
- Taking a cruise in the Caribbean
The Caribbean are the most popular region in the world for cruises and so they should! Home to beautiful islands and beaches, they are the ideal place to enjoy an all-inclusive cruise.
Whether you are a cruise addict or a first-timer, cruising around the Caribbean definitely should be on your travel bucket list!
Each cruise offers a different itinerary but the most popular stops are the Cayman Islands, Cuba, Barbados, Turks and Caicos Islands, Jamaica, Guadeloupe and St Marteen.
- Going on a cruise in the Whitsunday Islands.
Located on the coast of Queensland, in Australia, the Whitsundays lie between the beautiful Great Barrier Reef and the coastal town of Airlie Beach. The best way to experience this beautiful national park is by boat. You can either go on a cruise or charter a yacht. The Whitsundays are one of the rare places where you can rent a boat without a license!
- Going on a gondola ride in Venice, Italy
A gondola is a flat-bottom Venitian rowing boat. Venice is the only place in the world where you can find them and they are known to be the ultimate romantic travel experience for couples.
- Visiting the Taj Mahal in India
- Walking on the Great Wall of China
- Discovering the stunning mosaics and soaking up the views from the Park Guell in Barcelona
Barcelona is home to some of the most unique buildings and landmarks in the world. Antoni Gaudi was a brilliant architect who completely shaped the face of the city. One of his most remarkable works is the Park Guell. Perched on top of a hill, it features stunning mosaic. From the balcony, you can admire the wonderful views of Barcelona.
- Road tripping in the Florida Keys
Located in the Southern End of Florida, the Florida Keys are one of the most beautiful and unique places in the world. Driving from Miami to Key West is a trip of a lifetime. You will get to see so many things along the way and do wonderful activities such as kayaking in the mangroves and seeing manatees. You can also choose to stay in one of these stunning beachfront rentals in the keys for the full experience!
- Hiking up Macchu Pichu
- Discovering Angkor Wat, one of the most beautiful temples in the world
- Soaking up the views from the top of the Empire State Building
Hotel experiences bucket list
- Staying in a treehouse in the Blue Mountains, Australia
The Blue Mountains are one of the most beautiful National Parks in Australia. The most remarkable landmark is the Three Sisters. If you want to make the best of the experience, opt for one of these beautiful treehouses in the Blue Mountains.
- Staying in an igloo in Finland
- Staying in an underground dugout in Coober Pedy, Australia
- Staying in this beautiful Harry Potter Airbnb in Florida
Calling all Muggles for this one! As you may know, Orlando is home to the fantastic Universal Studios and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you are a true Potterhead, opt for one of these magical Harry Potter Airbnb in Florida.
- Staying in a suite hanging off a cliff in Peru
- Staying in a resort in the Whitsundays in Australia
- Booking a glamping spot in Florida
- Staying in a fairytale castle in the USA
- Staying in this stunning boutique hotel with infinity pool in Santorini, Greece.
Travel experiences for adrenaline junkies
If you are a thrill-seeker, this will be for you! In this section, you will discover the most thrilling travel experiences for adrenaline junkies!
- Skydiving above the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands
There are many places in the world where you can skydive but it’s hard to beat the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsundays. Skydiving in Airlie Beach is one of the most thrilling experiences you can have in Australia. Not only is the adrenaline rush created by the jump awesome but the views over the stunning islands and reef are breath-taking.
- Repelling Down the Waterfall in Cascada Tamul, Mexico
- Zip-lining in Snowdonia National Park, Wales
Located in the heart of Snowdonia National Park, in North Wales, Zip World Velocity II is the fastest zipline in the world and the longest in Europe. You will be going all the way up to the top of the mountain before flying above a lake, looking at the ocean. It’s absolutely amazing!
- Climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge, Australia
Sydney Harbour Bridge is one of the most remarkable man-made landmarks in Australia and it should be on your bucket list as you can climb it! Not only is that a thrilling experience but you will also get to enjoy some of the best views of Sydney and the harbour. Click here to see the latest prices.
- Taking a helicopter ride above the Grand Canyon in Arizona
- Scuba diving in the Galapagos Islands
- Hiking Mount Everest in Nepal
- Diving with sharks in Fiji
- Cave diving at the Great Blue Hole in Belize
- Rock climbing in Yosemite, USA
Yosemite is the most famous place for rock climbing in the USA. It was recently featured in the incredible documentary “Free Solo” (available on Disney +). Of course, I wouldn’t quite recommend trying free climbing but even for beginners rock climbing (with ropes!) in Yosemite is an incredible experience.
- Surfing in Hawaii
- Trying sledge dog in Lapland
- Exploring the active volcanoes in Iceland
- Walking on the skywalk on the Tianmen Mountain in Hunan, China
- Bungee jumping in Taupo in New Zealand
- Paragliding in Chicamocha Canyon in Colombia
Visiting the most famous landmarks in the world
Do you love beautiful monuments and landmarks? You are in for a treat! This is the ultimate world’s landmarks bucket list for your travels!
- Tossing a coin in the Trevi Fountain in Rome
No trip to Italy would be complete without seeing the Trevi fountain in Rome. According to the legend, if you toss a coin in the fountain, you will come back to Rome. Rome is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and if there is only once chance of you going back, you should seize it!
- Visiting the Statue of Liberty in New York City
- Seeing a concert at the Sydney Opera House
The Sydney Opera House is one of the 20 UNESCO World Heritage in Australia. As you roam around Darling Harbour, you will see it straight away. You can take a tour of the Opera House but for the full experience, make sure to book a ticket for a concert or another gig.
- Going up to the last level of the Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower is the most famous landmark in Paris (if not in the entire world!). You can visit it at any time. You can opt for the stairs or a skip-the-line ticket with the lift. As a visitor, you won’t actually get to go to the top, if you want to do so, you need to book a table at the Michelin restaurant on the last level.
For the best photos, head to the Trocadero. The views are stunning!
- Discovering the stunning Golden Bridge in San Francisco
- Watching the sunset at Stonehenge, UK
- Visiting the Moscow Kremlin in Russia
- Stepping back in time at the Pantheon in Athens, Greece
- Taking awesome photos with the leaning tower of Pisa
- Walking up to the Christ the Redeemer in Rio De Janeiro
- Discovering Mount Rushmore in the United States
Cultural experiences bucket list
Travelling is also about learning about other cultures. Whether it’s via visiting a famous landmark, the home of someone famous or the vestiges of a past civilisation, there are so many cultural experiences to have! Here is the perfect culture bucket list!
- Visiting Versailles Palace in France
Versailles is the most famous royal palace in France. It used to be the home of France’s longest-reigning King, Louis XIV. It features incredible pieces of art, gardens and golden pieces.
- Discovering the beautiful town of Sintra in Portugal
- Visiting the 5 Terre in Italy
The Cinque Terre are located in Northern Italy. They are an excellent day trip from Pisa, Florence or Genoa. They are made up of 5 hilltop villages. They are very colourful. So unique and authentic!
- Discovering the blue city of Chafachouen in Morocco
- Visiting a coffee plantation in Colombia
- Visiting the home of the Frida Khalo in Colonia del Carmen in Mexico City
- Visiting Le Louvre, the largest museum in the world, in Paris
Located in Paris, Le Louvre is the largest museum in the world. It was featured in several movies and is a must-see attraction in Paris. The most famous piece is the Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Standing next to David, in Florence
- Celebrating the Day of the Dead (Día de Los Muertos) in Mexico on the 1st of November
- Celebrating St Patrick’s Day in Dublin
- Visiting Teotihuacan in Mexico
- Discovering the Pyramids and the Great Sphinx in Giza, Egypt
- Visiting St Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City
- Visiting Alcatraz in San Francisco, USA
- Spending a day at the Alhambra in Granada, Spain
L’Alhambra is one of the most stunning palaces in Europe. It looks like something straight out of a fairytale. You can easily visit it while travelling around Andalusia. The entrance ticket includes a tour of the palaces and the gardens. For even more magic, opt for the nighttime visit.
- Discovering the dark history of WWII at Auschwitz in Poland
- Visiting a German Christmas Market
- Discovering the Berlin Wall
- Discovering the lost city of Petra
- Visiting the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey
- Exploring Pompeii and Herculaneum in Italy
If you are heading to Naples, visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum is a must-do. These two towns were covered by ashes and mud during an eruption of Mount Vesuvius. It’s a unique opportunity to discover what it was like during Roman times.
Activities for music lovers
Do you love music? You are in for a treat! There are so many musical experiences you can have while travelling the world. Here are some examples!
- Visiting Liverpool and discover the story of the Beatles
- Stepping into Elvis footsteps in Memphis
- Seeing an opera in Paris
- Discovering the universe of Johnny Cash in Nashville
- Listening to live music in Manchester, UK
Manchester has given to the world some of the most famous English Rock bands including Oasis. As you roam around the city, especially Northern Quarter, you will discover many pubs with live music. Pop in, grab a pint, sing and dance until it’s dawn!
- Experiencing the buzz of New Orleans
- Watching a musical on Broadway, New York City
- Seeing a cabaret show at the Moulin Rouge in Paris
- Watching a musical in London West End
London West End is to Europe what Broadway is to America. Some of the best theatres and productions are in the British capital and no Music Travel Bucket List would be complete without watching an amazing musical in London.
Theme parks Bucket List
Do you love roller coasters and attractions? These amazing theme parks should be on your travel bucket list then!
- Visiting Disney World and watching the fireworks at Magic Kingdom in Orlando
Orlando is known as the world’s theme park capital. There are so many theme parks in Florida! If you love them, you are in for a treat! The most famous of them all is Disney World. It’s made up of 4 main parks: Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
- Experiencing the thrill of the roller coasters in Port Aventura, Spain
- Discovering the magical Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Los Angeles and Osaka
- Spending a weekend at Disneyland Paris
- Having fun at Europa Park in Germany
- Visiting Tivoli Gardens in Denmark, one of the oldest amusement parks in the world
- Discovering the UK’s most famous theme park, Alton Towers
- Stepping back in time in the Puy du Fou in France
- Discovering the unique African-themed park in Florida, Busch Gardens in Tampa
- Finding out what it is like to be a Ferrari driver at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi
- Discovering France’s most famous cartoon characters at the Park Asterix
- Taking a day trip from London to Thorpe Park
- Visiting Dream World, Australia’s biggest amusement park
- Visiting Legoland in Malaysia
- Discovering your favourite movies at Universal Studios Singapore
Best City experiences in the world
There are some amazing cities out there. If you are a bit of an urban explorer, here are some experiences you can only have in certain cities in the world!
- Watching the New Year’s Eve fireworks in Sydney
- Riding the tube in London
- Walking on the Brooklyn Bridge in New York
- Riding the London Eye
- Strolling around the beautiful streets of Montmartre in Paris
- Discovering the red quarter in Amsterdam
- Exploring the Spanish quarters in Naples, Italy
Ultimate Outdoor Travel Bucket List
Cities are great and they are the best places to visit if you are a history lover. That said, if you want to discover jaw-dropping landscapes (you know the kind of things that really take your breath away), this Outdoor travel bucket list is for you!
The planet Earth truly is a magical place. There are some amazingly beautiful places out there and they will blow your mind!
- Discovering the Salar of Uyuni
- Hiking the Cone Volcano Paricutin in Michoacán, Mexico
- Skiing on Mount Etna, Sicily
- Hiking up the Piton de la Fournaise on the French island of the Reunion
- Hiking at Lake Bled in Slovenia
- Hiking Mount Batur (active volcano) at sunrise in Bali
- Hiking up Mount Kilimanjaro
- Hiking in the Peak District, England
The Peak District is one of the most underrated national parks in the world. Yet, the landscapes are stunning and the hiking opportunities are endless! One of the best hikes in the area is Mam Tor. From the top, you will discover fantastic views of the English countryside.
- Discovering the beauty of Wai-O-Tapu in New Zealand
- Discovering the Antelope Canyon in Arizona
- Hiking in Banff National Park in Canada
- Discovering the beautiful rainbow mountains in Peru
- Discovering the majestic Niagara Falls in Canada
- Hiking to the Lost City in the Sierra Mountains in Colombia
- Exploring the rainforest in Costa Rica
- Hiking in Patagonia, Argentina
- Seeing the Northern Lights in Tromsø, Norway
- Discovering the beauty of the Azores in Portugal
- Hiking on Mount Fuji, the highest mountain in Japan
- Visiting the tulip fields in the Netherlands
- Going on a cruise in the Norwegian Fjords
- Going on a cruise in Halong Bay in Vietnam
- Skiing in the French Alps
- Scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Wildlife experiences in the world
Discovering the wildlife in the countries you visit is also an important part of travelling. The world is home to beautiful and fascinating species. It’s always very interesting to see and discover animals you’ve never seen before.
As responsible travellers, you should always check that the activities you choose are eco-friendly and don’t harm the local wildlife. Here are some ideas!
- Seeing with the manatees in Crystal River
- Going on an airboat ride in the Everglades to see the alligators
- Seeing Tasmanian Devils in Tasmania
- Taking a bath with the elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Seeing the monkeys in Bali
- Discovering the beautiful koalas on the Great Ocean Road
- Discovering the leopards in Bera, India
- Going on a safari in Kenya
- Watching the gorillas in Rwanda
- Discovering the Orangutans in Borneo, Malaysia
- Seeing the polar bears in Artic
- Whale watching in Jervis Bay, Australia
- Discovering the Bengal tigers in India
- Seeing the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island in Australia
Best road trips in the world
Road tripping is one of the best ways to explore the world. You can stop in many places, discover stunning landmarks, famous places and small towns! There is also something very fun about it. So, get your playlist ready and hit the road!
- Iceland Ring Road
- Australia East Coast
- The Great Ocean Road
- Route 500 in Scotland
- Route 66 in the USA
- Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia, Canada
Best train journeys in the world
Another way you can travel around and make the best of the journey is by taking the train. Firstly, it’s one of the best ways of transportation. A train ride is always quite relaxing. Secondly, there are a lot of scenic train rides out there!
- Travelling from Adelaide to Uluru and Darwin on the Ghan, in Australia
- Riding the Tren a Las Nubes in Salta (Argentina)
- Riding the Jacobite Train in Scotland (also known as the Harry Potter train)
- Riding the Trans-Siberian from Russia to China
- Taking an Interrail pass and exploring Europe
Nightlife and party experiences
Are you a night owl who loves to party? Awesome! Here are the best places to experience the nightlife!
- Clubbing in Ibiza, Spain
- Hitting the casinos in Las Vegas
Best Shopping experiences
- Getting lost in the souks in Marrakech
- Going to the Galleries Lafayette in Paris at Christmas time
- Going on a shopping weekend in Milan, Italy
Best TV Show and Movie locations
Are you a cinema lover or a Netflix addict who want to discover real-life filming locations? Perfect! This is one of the best things to do while travelling. It’s pretty awesome to discover a place that you’ve been watching on your TV for years! Here are the best destinations for people who want to discover filming locations!
- Visiting the Harry Potter Studios in London
Harry Potter was mainly filmed in London. The Warner Bros Studios are located just outside of London and are a must-do for all the Muggles out there! There are also many filming locations in central London so make sure to check those out as well!
- Having fun at the Universal Studios in Orlando
- Discovering the Game of Thrones filming locations in Northern Ireland
Best Beaches in the world
Who doesn’t like to relax on the beach? Alright, some people don’t like that but beaches are still one of the best places to visit especially since some of them are pretty incredible!
- Discovering Whitehaven Beach in Australia and walking up to Hill Inlet
- Walking on the soft sand of Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida
- Taking a boat trip to Koh Phi Phi Island in Thailand
- Discovering the beautiful beaches in Zanzibar
Ultimate Food and drinks bucket list
Travellers usually love food as well and that’s a really good thing because food experiences are one of the best ways to learn about the local culture. You will be surprised by how important food can be. Take the French for example. That’s all they talk about! And I say that with love as I am French myself! But if you do go to France, you will quickly notice that food is one of the most important aspects of French culture!
And this is the case everywhere! So, are you ready to discover the ultimate food travel bucket list? Let’s get cracking!
- Eating snails and frog legs in France
- Eating pasta in Italy
Italy is a paradise for foodies and one of the main food stars is pasta. There are a variety of pasta dishes you can try in Italy and here is the good news, they are all delicious!
The most famous Italian pasta dishes are the carbonara, lasagna and bolognese.
- Tasting a delicious Pizza Margherita in Naples, Italy
- Ordering some tapas in Granada, Spain
- Eating Street Food (Pad Thai specifically) in Bangkok
- Eating a Thai green curry in Chiang Mai
- Wine tasting in Bordeaux, France
- Taking a food tour in Rome
- Eating chimney cakes in Prague
- Taking a cooking class in Paris
- Ordering a full English breakfast in London
- Eating an arancino in Catania, Sicily
Sicily is one of the best places in Italy when it comes to food. If you are visiting this beautiful Mediterranean island, eating an arancino is a must-do.
An arancino is a fried ball of rice with a sauce in the middle. The most common version is the ragu arancino but in certain places like the province of Catania, you can also find other versions such as the pistachio arancino.
- Wine Tasting in Mendoza, Argentina
- Eating Paella in Spain
- Tasting some Poutine in Quebec, Canada
- Visiting the Guinness Store House in Dublin
- Whiskey Tasting in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Eating delicious Pastel de Belem in Lisbon
- Going on a pub crawl in Belfast
- Eating gelato in Italy
- Eating waffles in Brussels
Amazing sports experiences in the world
- Watching a Tennis match in Wimbledon
- Going to the Melbourne Cup, in Australia
- Going to an ice hocking match in the USA
- Getting tickets for a world cup finale (Football or Rugby)
- Watching the superball
You may also be interested in:
Pin it for later!