Are you going to Australia soon and want to see the Great Barrier Reef? Good! Because you definitely should!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost for you!
What is the Great Barrier Reef?
The Great Barrier Reef is Australia’s most famous landmarks and rightfully! It’s the largest coral reef in the world! There are more than 2,900 reefs and 900 islands! It’s a must-do in Australia!
How can you see the Great Barrier Reef?
If you have your diving license, Australia’s Great Barrier Reef will be your holy grail! But if you don’t dive, or want to experience something else, then you may want to consider a scenic flight.
The amazing thing about the Great Barrier Reef is that it’s so big, you can see it from the sky! And it has a completely different look!
I personally strongly believe that if you want to see the Great Barrier Reef in all its beauty, you’ve got to see it from both the sky and the sea.
Which is why I went onto the Great Barrier Reef Scenic flight from Airlie Beach.
Where can you go on a Great Barrier Reef Scenic flight?
There are two main places from which you can experience the Great Barrier Reef: Cairns and Airlie Beach.
Flights from Cairns are alright and will very often is a bit cheaper but I think if you want to see the true beauty of the reef, you’ve got to do it from Airlie Beach.
Why you should go on a scenic flight from Airlie Beach?
Airlie Beach is home to the Whitsunday islands and Whiteheaven beach. This is the most beautiful beach in the world. Just picture it: white sand, crystal blue waters… what is there not to like?
If you choose to go on a Great Barrier Reef Scenic flight from Airlie Beach, you will get to see both the Whitsundays and the reef (including the famous heart reef). Also the flight lasts 1 hour. Most flights from Cairns are only 30 mins.
Basically, you will get so much more for money and who doesn’t want to hit two birds with one stone?
What does the Great Barrier Reef Scenic flight from Airlie Beach include?
- 1-hour flight over the Great Barrier Reef (including the heart reef) and Whitsunday Islands (including Whiteheaven)
- Guaranteed window seats
- In-flight pilot commentary
- Modern fleet of high-wing aircraft
- Small group (6 people)
- Complimentary courtesy bus transfers from/to Airlie Beach
Where does it leave from?
The flight leaves from Whitsunday airport which is a tiny airport located about 20 mins drive from Airlie Beach. Only Skydiving and scenic flights leave from this airport which means you won’t be bothered by big and noisy airplanes.
You can park in the airport carpark. It costs $6 for up to 3 hours (which is way more than enough).
Alternatively you can arrange a shuttle service with the company, just ask them when you book.
How much does it cost?
The flight costs AUD 249 and can be booked online here.
What will I see during the Great Barrier Reef Scenic Flight?
It’s picture time! Let me give you an idea of what you are going to get! Please note I have not edited any of these photos, it’s too pretty to have a filter on it!
You will start by the Whitsunday Islands.
Then head towards the beautiful Whiteheaven beach.
Then check out the cute heart reef.
And finally fly above the immensity of the reef.
Is this Great Barrier Reef scenic flight worth it?
Alright so, this is a personal opinion and obviously you might feel differently. But if you’re here, you are looking for some feedback.
And the answer is yes! The scenic flight above the great barrier reef from Airlie Beach is definitely worth it. I know $249 (Australian) may seem expensive but yet it’s very good value for money.
Here is why I loved it so much:
- The Great Barrier Reef is amazingly beautiful. It’s so much nicer than you can imagine.
- Whiteheaven beach is absolutely gorgeous and still to this day the most beautiful place I’ve seen in the planet (and I did my fair share of travelling)
- It’s breathtaking. So beautiful you could almost cry to be honest. You just don’t know where to look. It’s everywhere! It’s like being hit by pure beauty from all over the place.
- The pilot is also your tour guide and gives you plenty of information about the islands and the reef. He also indicates where you should look. This comes in very handy because as previously said, you just can’t help yourself than looking at everything.
- The aircraft is small which means you have window for sure. The group is also small so you won’t be bothered by plenty of other strangers
- The company organises these flights really well. There is no struggle. You park, go to the desk, they get you to fill in some paper work, couple of checks and off you go!
And finally, if all of that didn’t convince you yet, listen to this one. THIS IS AN EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME!
Look at it that way. How many times in your life will you get the chance to see the Great Barrier Reef? Some lucky people will see it several times, but let’s be honest, for the rest of us it will only be once.
How many time in your life will you make $249? Well probably every month!
You’ve got a lifetime to make back these $249! Don’t miss out on the chance of seeing the reef because I swear, you won’t regret it!
I hope my review of the Great Barrier Reef Scenic Flight from Airlie Beach was helpful. If you want to book it you can use this link! 🙂
And if you are not convinced, that’s fine too! Now at least, you know what it is 🙂
You may also be interested in:
Pin it for later!