Spain is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and although it’s mainly known for its cities, there are also many beautiful small towns in Spain that are worth a visit!
If you are looking for more authenticity and want to step back in time, these will be perfect for you! You will discover historical sites, stunning castles and natural landmarks!
From Catalonia to Andalusia, we tell you everything about the best small towns in Spain!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost for you! As an Airbnb Associate, I may earn when you book through these links.
Beautiful Small Towns on the Costa Brava
Located on the Costa Brava, near the border with South West France and a couple of hours away from Barcelona, Cadaquès is not only one of the cutest small towns in Spain but in the whole of Europe! It is particularly known for having been home to the eccentric Spanish painter, Salvador Dalí.
You can easily get to Cadaqués by car but you need to be prepared for bendy mountain roads. Alternatively, you can book a day tour from Barcelona. See prices.
Here are a few examples of things to do in Cadaqués:
- Roaming around the streets. Cadaques truly is a beautiful town. It looks like a fairytale town and wandering around is the best way to appreciate it. There are many narrow streets with stunning white houses.
- Relaxing on the beach. You will find a beach right in the middle of Cadaques. Make sure to bring a towel and sunbathe for a bit. The beach is a bit rocky but it’s very nice. You can also try stand-up paddle there.
- Visiting Salvador Dali’s house. If you love the quirky universe of Dali, you will be in for a treat in Cadaques! There are three main places in the world where you can find Dali’s work: Figueres (Dali’s Museum), St Petersburg FL (largest Dali museum outside of Spain) and Cadaques. The Salvador Dali House is one of the most unique residential properties you can visit in the world!
WHERE TO STAY IN CADAQUES: The Hotel La Residencia is ideally located in the centre of Cadaques, a couple of minutes away from the beach and the main attractions. See latest prices here.
Tossa De Mar, Catalonia
Located on the Costa Brava, about a 100 km north of Barcelona, Tossa De Mar is a great destination for a holiday by the beach. Although most people just assume that it is simply a summer destination, it’s nothing like Benidorm or Salou. It was founded in the 4th century BC!
This small beach town in Spain is ideal for people looking for a pretty place to spend a beach holiday.
Here are a few examples of things to do in Tossa de Mar:
- Relaxing at the beach. Tossa de Mar is home to some of the most beautiful beaches on the Costa Brava. Make sure to pack your towel and put your bikini on as you will love spending time there. Platja Gran and Platja del Reig are the best ones.
- Visit the old town. If you are into history, you will love roaming around Tossa de Mar. The Old Town is surrounded by stunning city walls with 7 watchtowers.
- Discover the Parish church of Sant Vicenç. This historic church was inaugurated in the XVIII century. Unfortunately, most of it was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War but it’s still a very interesting site to visit.
WHERE TO STAY IN TOSSA DE MAR: Mamma Mia Boutique Hotel is a beautiful property, ideally located in the Old Town and near the main beach. See latest prices here.
Beautiful Small Towns in the Balearic Islands
Capdepera is a beautiful Spanish small town located on the island of Mallorca. It is known for its castle and cute narrow streets. It is quite an underrated destination in Mallorca. Most visitors tend to stay in Palma or go partying in Magaluf. If that’s not your jam and you like to visit historical sites, Capdepera will be the perfect place to explore!
Here are a few examples of things to do in Capdepera:
- Visiting the Capdepera Castle. This is definitely the most impressive landmark in Capdepera. Located on top of a hill, it was built in the 14th century to prevent attacks from pirates. Several civilisations developed the castle including the Romans, the Moors and the Christian.
- Shopping in the medieval market. Located in the centre, the medieval market of Capdepera is one of the best on the island. You will love wandering around and discovering the authentic local products.
- Roaming around the Old Town. Again, one of the best way to discover this Spanish town is to just wander around. As you walk around the narrow streets, you will discover beautiful houses, the San Juan Church and the Canyamel Tower.
WHERE TO STAY IN CAPDEPERA: Hotel Creu de Tau Art&Spa is one of the best hotels on the island. It has a wonderful spa and is a great place to relax, away from the crowds! See prices here.
Beautiful Small Towns in Northern Spain
If you are looking for a secret town in Spain for your next holidays, Bagà is the one for you! Located in the mountains in Catalonia, Bagà is a medieval town with a strong history and home to beautiful surroundings.
Here are a few examples of things to do in Bagà:
- Discovering the historic centre. Bagà may be small but there are quite a few things to see! If you love historic buildings, you are in for a treat. The most noticeable sites are St. Esteve de Bagà, the parish church, Santuari de la Mare de Déu del Paller, neoclassical sanctuary and the Plaça Porxada, the town’s central square, built in the 13th century.
- Hiking in the Cadi Moixero Natural Park. This is one of the most underrated natural parks in Spain. If you love hiking, this is the perfect place for you! The landscapes are breath-taking. Also, it’s completely off-the-beaten path which means that you won’t see many tourists there! The highest peak is the Penyes Altes de Moixero. If you do like a good hike, opt for this one!
WHERE TO STAY IN BAGA: Hotel Casa Duaner is a cute B&B located just outside of Bagà. It’s a great place to stay. See prices here.
Located in the beautiful wine region of Le Priorat, Gratallops is more of a village than a town but it’s so beautiful that it was worth mentioning.
This is a true hidden gem and most people don’t even know it exists!
Here are a few examples of things to do in Gratallops:
- Roaming around town. Gratallops is a cute village and walking around is super pleasant. It looks like the time stopped in Gratallops. You will definitely feel like you are stepping back in time!
- Wine tasting. Gratallops is home to many cellars and you should pop by to try some of their wines! Not only are they delicious but it’s also a very authentic experience. Make sure to stop by the Cellar Cecilio.
WHERE TO STAY IN GRATALLOPS: Trossos Del Priorat is a beautiful hotel with stunning views over the vineyards. See prices here.
If you are visiting Northern Spain, make sure to stop by Comillas. It’s one of the most beautiful beach towns in Cantabria and you will have an amazing time! It is home to monuments created by famous Catalan artists including Gaudi!
You can basically think of it as a mini-Barcelona!
Here are a few examples of things to do in Comillas:
- Visiting El Capricho de Gaudi. This is the most famous Gaudi landmark in Northern Spain. It was built between 1883 and 1885 for a wealthy client, Máximo Díaz de Quijano. Unfortunately, he died before it was completed but you can visit it! If you loved the Park Guell in Barcelona, you will definitely fall in love with El Capricho!
- Discovering the Casa del Duque de Almodóvar del Río. This stunning mansion is one of the most beautiful properties in Spain. Make sure to pay it a visit while you are in Comillas!
WHERE TO STAY IN COMILLAS: Posada Rural Entrecomillas is a beautiful country house in Comillas. It has everything you may need and is perfect for people looking for an authentic stay. See prices here.
Beautiful Small Towns in Southern Spain
Located in Andalusia, Almuñécar is one of the most beautiful beach towns in Spain. It’s a great place to spend a weekend or visit on a day trip from Motril.
Almuñécar is everything you expect a Spanish town to be! People are nice, food is delicious, the town centre is very picturesque… it has it all!
Here are a few examples of things to do in Almuñécar:
- Roaming around the old town. Almuñécar Old Town is a beautiful place with cobblestones streets, medieval houses and flowery balconies.
- Getting a drink in one of the beach bars. This is one of the best things to do in Almuñecar. It’s a very lively town and you will find loads of beach bars along the Paseo del Alitillo and Paseo de la Calatilla. Unlike what you may think, these are not a tourist trap! They are mainly frequented by locals. So if you want to make the best of it, grab a mojito, order some seafood and enjoy!
- Visiting the Castle San Miguel. Located at the top of the town, the castle San Miguel is a beautiful example of a medieval fortress. It’s a great place to visit. You will love wandering around the ruins and soaking up the jaw-dropping views!
WHERE TO STAY IN ALMUNECAR: Hotel Helios is an excellent place to stay. It’s pretty cheap and the services are amazing. Very good value for money. It’s also an excellent base to explore the town on foot. See prices here.
You may also be interested in:
The Most Beautiful Small Towns in France
10 Best Small Towns in Florida you must discover!
Beautiful American Small Towns: 25 Prettiest and Coolest Small Towns in the USA
Pin it for later!