Looking for an awesome US Geography Quiz? We are here to help!
We put together 108 questions and answers about the geography of the United States. This includes general knowledge questions, maps, picture rounds and plenty more! You will even find some music and movie questions.
This American Trivia quiz includes both easy and hard questions so it will fit all levels! You can find the questions at the beginning and the answers at the end of the page. Feel free to print the picture rounds to play with your friends!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost for you! As an Airbnb Associate, I may earn when you book through these links.
US Geography Quiz Questions
Before we dive in, here is what to expect from this geography quiz about the United States. You will find 11 rounds of questions. Each correct answer will score you one point.
In some rounds, you will be asked for two answers. Each one of those will be worth 1 point which means you can score 2 points.
There are quite a few bonus points to grab so make sure to get those right!
The first 9 rounds are questions. The 3 last rounds are picture rounds.
Round 1: US Geography General Knowledge Quiz Questions
- Which ocean borders the East Coast of the US?
- How many countries does the US share land borders with?
- What is the US capital city?
- What is the tallest mountain in the US?
- What is California’s biggest fault?
- What is the longest river in the US?
- Which state was bought from France in 1803?
- The USA are home to the third-largest coral reef in the world. In which state is it located?
- What ocean is the state of Hawaii located in?
- How many states border the Gulf of Mexico?
Round 2: American States Quiz Questions
- Which state is the largest?
- Which state is the smallest?
- What was the last state to join the US? (Bonus point if you know the year as well!)
- Which state is the Sunshine State?
- What is Texas’ nickname?
- Which state is the copper state?
- What is the least populated state?
- Which US State has the longest coastline?
- What were the 13 states that initially formed the USA?
- Which 2 states share borders with 8 states?
Round 3: US capitals Quiz Questions
- What is the smallest US capital city?
- What is the capital of Louisiana?
- Boise is the capital of which state?
- Which capital city hosted the 2002 Winter Olympics?
- What is the capital of Wisconsin?
- Pierre is the capital of which state?
- What is the capital of Colorado?
- Des Moines is the capital of which state?
- What is the capital of Illinois?
- Saint Paul is the capital of which state?
Round 4: US Cities Quiz Questions
- What is New York City’s nickname?
- What is the largest city in Florida (population)?
- Which city in New Mexico hosts the International Balloon Fiesta?
- Which US city is home to O’Hare International Airport?
- What is the largest city in Texas?
- Which city was Obama born in?
- What is the 4th most populated city in the US? (After NYC, LA and Chicago)
- What is the largest city in Oregon?
- In which city is located the Southernmost Point in the continental US?
- What is the most populated city in Ohio?
Round 5: US National Parks Quiz Questions
- What was the first National Park in the US?
- How many national parks are there in the US?
- In which state is Yosemite National Park located?
- Which National Park can only be accessed by boat from Key West, FL?
- In which state is the White Sands National Park?
- What is the only state without a national park?
- What is the most visited national park?
- Which is the largest National Park in the continental US?
- Which US state is home to Acadia National Park?
- Which US National Park is home to the largest tree on Earth?
Round 6: US landmarks Quiz Questions
- Which famous French engineer built the metal frame of the Statue of Liberty?
- In which state is the Grand Canyon?
- What’s Hawaii most visited landmark?
- What river runs through the Grand Canyon?
- In which state can you find Disney World?
- In which state can you find Mount Rushmore National Memorial?
- What is the name of the red bridge in San Francisco?
- Which lake sits between Arizona and Utah?
- Which city is home to Independence Hall?
- `in which US city can you find Alcatraz island?
Round 7: US Geography, Movies & TV Shows Quiz
- Which state is Marshall, in “How I met your mother”, from?
- In which city is “Jane the Virgin” set?
- In season 9 of friends, Chandler moves to another US city. Which one was it?
- In which city is “Charmed” set?
- Which state is “One Tree Hill” set in?
- In which theme park can you find the “Wizarding World of Harry Potter”?
- Which NYC neighborhood does Spiderman come from?
- Where does Jess (in New Girl) come from? Name the city and state
- In which US city is “Grey’s Anatomy set?
- In which city is the apartment of Leonard and Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) located?
Round 8: US Geography & Music Quiz
- Which state was Dorothy (Wizard of Oz) from?
- In which city is Graceland (Elvis Presley home)?
- In which city can you find Broadway?
- In which city did Johnny Cash spend most of his life in?
- In which city is Celine Dion usually performing?
- In which state was Dolly Parton born?
- Which famous theme song was sung by Frank Sinatra in 1979?
- In which state was Bruce Springsteen born?
- In which US city can you find the Cuban version of the walk of fame (Calle Ocho)?
- Which US city is known as the “Live Music Capital of the World”?
Round 9: US States Map Quiz
Most US States map quiz use the entire map of the USA. In this one, we decided to spice it up and just show you the shape. This is a bit harder but also a lot more fun!
Round 10: US States Flags Quiz
Each American state is represented by a flag. In this round, you need to identify each state.
Round 11: Famous landmarks in the USA Picture Quiz
In this US landmark picture quiz, you need to identify each landmark by name. If you indicated the state it’s located in, you will be able to score a bonus point.
This means that this round is worth 20 points altogether.
US Geography Quiz Answers
Round 1: US Geography General Knowledge Quiz Answers
- Atlantic Ocean
- 2 countries. Mexico and Canada.
- Washington DC
- Denali, Alaska
- San Andreas Fault
- Missouri River
- Pacific Ocean
- 5 states. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida
Round 2: American States Quiz Answers
- Rhode Island
- The Lone Star State
- New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia
- Tennessee and Missouri
Round 3: US capitals Quiz Answers
- Montpellier, Vermont (Population under 8,000)
- Baton Rouge
- Salt Lake City
- South Dakota
Round 4: US Cities Quiz Answers
- The Big Apple
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Key West, FL
Round 5: US National Parks Quiz Answers
- Yellowstone National Park
- Dry Tortugas National Park
- New Mexico
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Alaska
- Sequoia National Park
Round 6: US landmarks Quiz Answers
- Gustave Eiffel (Yes, he was also the creator of the Eiffel Tower in Paris)
- Pearl Habor
- Colorado river
- South Dakota
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Lake Powell
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- San Francisco, California
Round 7: US Geography, Movies & TV Shows Answers
- San Francisco
- North Carolina
- Universal Studios (in both Orlando and LA)
- Portland, Oregon
- Pasadena, California
Round 8: US Geography & Music Answers
- New York City
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Las Vegas
- New York New York
- New Jersey
- Miami, Florida
- Austin, Texas
Round 9: US States Map Answers
Round 10: US States Flags Answers
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
Round 11: Famous landmarks in the USA Picture Quiz Answers
- Crater Lake, Oregon
- The Pentagon, Virginia
- Golden Gate, San Francisco, California
- Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
- 7-mile bridge, Florida
- Devil’s Tower, Wyoming
- Empire State Building, NYC, New York
- El Captan, Yosemite, California
- Space Needle, Seattle, Washington
- Antelope Canyon, Arizona
You may also be interested in:
Pin it for later!
You may also be interested in: